APM MacLean is an Island owned family-oriented construction business that has continued to grow for over 60 years. APM MacLean key sectors include design build, construction management, general contracting of all commercial, multi-rental, institutional, and industrial properties from conception, to design to completion.
APM MacLean would like to invite qualified, enthusiastic individuals to apply for the following career opportunity: Safety Manager.
The Safety Manager provides safety leadership to the company, ensures work site compliance with corporate safety standards, implements safety directives, improves safety performance, and ensures safety policies and procedures are aligned with governmental regulations.
This position reports to VP of Construction & business managers.
• Implement, coordinate, and manage multiple safety programs to reduce or eliminate occupational injuries, illnesses, deaths, and financial loss.
• Develop environmental, health and safety programs’ capital expenditure budgets.
• Develop and coordinate the annual health and safety budgets for each division.
• Research new regulations and developments in the field of Health & Safety and recommend changes to the Company’s program.
• Address hazardous working conditions and unsafe employee practices through site visits, safety plans and education of all supervisory personnel.
• Review documentation to ensure all required on-site records and reports are complete, accurate and submitted as per established procedures.
• Identify best practices and lead continuous improvement initiatives to reduce work process risks, raise safety awareness and improve safe work practices.
• Facilitate a work environment that supports a safe and healthy culture.
• Perform safety audits and inspect facilities, machinery and safety equipment to identify and correct potential hazards, and to ensure safety regulation compliance.
• Investigate accidents, near-miss incidents and occupational injuries to determine causes; install preventative measures and manage return-to-work activities.
• Provide technical advice, coaching, guidance, and mentoring to employees on safety initiatives and necessary changes.
• Ensure APM MacLean retains the “Certificate of Recognition” in the respective province by partaking in the annual safety audit process.
• Develop, implement and maintain systems with records of employees, equipment inventories, and compliance activities.
• Provide monthly and annual health and safety reports to Senior Management.
• Represent APM MacLean externally to governmental agencies such as Workers Compensation Board, Department of Health and other safety organizations.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS:
• Accident/Incident frequency, severity, near misses.
• Lost time (in hours) due to non-fatal accidents/incidents per year.
• Lost time (in hours) due to accidents/incidents (including fatalities) per year.
• 5+ years’ experience in the field of Health & Safety with increasing levels of managerial and leadership responsibilities.
• Currently enrolled or willing to enrol for CRSP certification.
• Experience with achieving and maintaining COR.
• Strong leadership skills and a strategic thinker.
• Excellent verbal and written communication and negotiation skills, tact and diplomacy to ensure the implementation of OH&S legislation and Company policies.
• Calm and articulate under pressure.
• Strong analytical skills and problem-solving abilities.
• Proficient with all Windows platforms, Microsoft Office, Internet, etc.
• Valid provincial drivers’ license and clear abstract.
• Ability to travel.
This is a full-time position, with salary and benefits which commensurate with qualifications and experience.
If you are interested in this exciting career opportunity with APM MacLean, please forward a professional resume with covering letter by email.
APM MacLean is an equal opportunity employer. If you are interested in this exciting career opportunity with APM MacLean, please fill in the form below.