APM MacLean is an Island owned family-oriented construction business that has continued to grow for over 60 years. APM MacLean key sectors include design build, construction management, general contracting of all commercial, multi-rental, institutional, and industrial properties from conception, to design to completion.
APM MacLean would like to invite qualified, enthusiastic individuals to apply for the following career opportunity: Architect.
The Architect role involves meeting with clients to determine their requirements, interpretation of codes & bylaws, preparation & presentation of design concepts, leadership throughout the design process, selection of finishes, management of consultants, supervision of design staff, and leadership of the contract administration & project closeout processes.
This position reports to the Vice President of Engineering & Technical Services.
• Meet with both external and internal clients to determine project requirements and develop preliminary plans and documents to obtain sign-off.
• Compile site development documentation including planning, zoning and site analysis.
• Create, present and gain approval from clients for proposed materials and systems.
• Assemble design teams by obtaining fee proposals and analyzing capabilities of various consultants.
• Prepare, present, and obtain approval for design budgets.
• Supervise and participate in the various stages of design: Preliminary/Presentation package, Schematic Design, Design Development, Construction Documents, Contract Administration, Commissioning and Project Closeout
• Prepare Code and zoning bylaw analysis.
• Consult with municipal, provincial, and federal authorities as necessary.
• Monitor projects during construction for compliance with construction drawings.
• Mentor and develop skillset of technical support staff.
• Collaborate with external engineering partners and other personnel to resolve design challenges.
• Collaborate with project teams and Project Managers to proactively support internal and external customers.
• Communicate and coordinate directly with clients, consultants, contractors, Project Managers, etc.
• Supervise and participate in production of computer generated 2D and/or 3D renderings.
• Research and become familiar with Canadian building codes, construction methods, and practices.
• Apply knowledge of codes, standards, and construction technology to solve specific design problems and implement solutions.
• Resolve complex technical issues.
• Research new products and construction methods as necessary.
• Other duties as assigned.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS:
• Overall design vision and ability to meet clients functional and aesthetic needs.
• Ability to support the goals of APM MacLean and its clients.
• Overall customer satisfaction with finished product.
• Maintenance of design cost and construction cost budgets.
• Effective and efficient management skills for staff, hired consultants and other resources.
• Knowledge and accurate application of building codes.
• Completeness and accuracy of information.
• Ability for self-directed work.
• Organized administration and record keeping.
• Ability to stay current and learn new skills.
• Registered and/or ability to be registered with the Architects Association of Prince Edward Island.
• 5+ years’ experience as a practicing Architect.
• Strong working knowledge of AutoCAD, AutoCAD light, 3D Max and Photoshop would be an asset.
• Exceptional written, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work in a team in a fast paced, deadline driven environment.
• Working knowledge of Canadian building codes, commercial, residential and retail construction.
• Exceptional time management skills with the ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
• Ability to analyze issues of various complexity and identify the appropriate course of action, using sound judgement and well developed problem solving skills.
This is a full-time position, with salary and benefits which commensurate with qualifications and experience.
APM MacLean is an equal opportunity employer. If you are interested in this exciting career opportunity with APM MacLean, please fill in the form below.